Sunday, February 21, 2010

Merriment and Wonder

The previous post is for yesterday!

Today the theme of good vibes and happiness played out even further. I woke up at 10, early for someone who championed like 8 drinks the night before, I'm sure the caffeine had something to do with it, but I had all this energy and the sun was shining and it was just such a beautiful awakening! I heard Julie in her room and we sat in bed for a moment recapping the hilarity that was the night before and then we decided to climb Arthur's Seat, which is the mini-mountain that I can see from my bedroom window. We made breakfast first, omeletes and beans and toast and then hit the road for the peak! We walked through a really cute area of town, past the Edinburgh Uni housing and up to the base of the mini mt! the climb is mostly steep stone steps which makes it easy to get up, but it's quite steep so I was panting shortly after we started. It felt so good to move my body though! The sun was brilliant and I hope my skin appreciated the chance to soak up the Vitamin D it desperately needs.

WE MADE IT TO THE TOP! in about 45 minutes and I got to feast my eyes on the most beautiful 360 degree view of Edinburgh. It's just wonderful. The water stretches out on one side, and the city sneaks up close to it. It was such a wonderful moment to be up there at the top. Julie is an awesome addition to my life here, I'm so glad she's my flatmate. She's a really cool person, really into the more natural aspects of living and being. We had some good chats. We headed back down the mountain in a different direction and spent a total of about 3 1/2 hours total walking and hiking and walking. It was a really great way to spend the afternoon.

When we got home I called Eric because yesterday we made plans to go back to this used bookstore on the way to the Grassmarket. It's such an awesome bookstore....books floor to ceiling and it smells just exactly the way you would expect a used bookstore to smell. I discovered an awesome section of Occult books and I found this great one called Beautiful Painted Arrow. It's a collection of Native American stories and advice and lore on the way to live. There are instructions on meditation and exercises for harmonizing your spirit and soul. Must have. I also got a small book called On Bullfighting, by a Scottish writer. The first sentence captured me.

"O that mortal science were in as fair a way of improvement, that men would cease to be wolves to one another, and that human beings would at length learn what they now improperly call humanity." -Ben Franklin, 1780

The first time I went into this bookstore I bought Breakfast at Tiffany's and Li Po and Tu Fu. The latter is a collection by two of Chinas greatest poets. It's really great, I think I'll read it and send it to Chardin. It seems like something he would enjoy.

Stopped at Real Foods as well, the miniature version of Ellwood Thompsons. Bought peanuts, popcorn kernels, and tempeh. Julie and I are going to make a peanut sauce, tempeh, cous cous, mushroom, broccoli, grean bean concoction of deliciousness. Yummy yum yum. Then we're going to make homemade popcorn and eat apples and watch movies. Today has been the best day ever. I feel wholly productive and valid and I love myself.

Highlights of the coming up week:
Show tomorrow, Monday, the 22nd. Chris's band Meursault, with Xiu Xiu...both bands are fucking TIGHT! and I get to see Chris again!

Tuesday, Tarkovsky film, Mirrors, showing at the Filmhouse, hopefully going with Adam from class! Should be great!
Friday, Chris and I are hopefully going to go and see the new film by the director of Amelie.

Hopefully this week will turn out as great as it looks on paper. I am full of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment