Sunday, March 14, 2010

There is still so much I need to tell you about blog.

Examples:
I went to Prague
and I went to see Beach House open for Grizzly Bear
and I went against all my scheduling and spent a glorious day in bed

Side Note: people here assume that as a 'Virginian' I'm 5 seconds away from pulling out a shotgun and shooting my dinner out of a tree. I told someone I was from Virginia and was promptly asked about "ho-downs."

People are constantly giving Americans shit about geography. I got a phone call tonight from a friend in my class, and he said that he and his friends were playing a pub game called "name all 50 of the United States," sounds fun right? I was out and not really in the mood to talk, seeing as I was in a pub trying to have a good time and he was like "OH! VIRGINIA IS A STATE?! I thought it was just a city in your county!!! Weird" SERIOUSLY?

Fairly often I've been critiqued for being American and am constantly told "Oh! You don't LOOK American." Initially, I was flattered, but now....First of all, what the hell does that mean? Is there some ignorant, obese American cookie cutter shape that we're all supposed to step into before we leave the country?

America is a beautiful place! Full of educated, wonderful, smart, and creative, kind people. There are ignorant, fat douche bags there too, but those people exist everywhere. I really never thought I would feel so protective of America. Europe is a dream, and I'm in love with this place, but I wish that people wouldn't let stereotypes shape their judgement.

No comments:

Post a Comment